Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dear Author Award


Victoria recently read a book called A Mouse Called Wolf and wrote a letter to the author to participate in the "Dear Author" Contest for her school. We were informed this last week that she had won!! Way to go, Sis! Tonight, our family attended the Awards Ceremony held at the downtown library. Each of the 5 winners got to read their letter to the audience. We were totally surprised but she won $150 for her school library AND her very own Kindle Fire. She was so excited!! And her siblings were super jealous! ;)
It turned out that 3 of the finalists were students from Victoria's school. The Librarians scored with $450 to buy books for their library! Awesome!
We're auper proud of what a smart kid Victoria is! Great job!

Here's her letter she wrote and then read at the Awards Ceremony. 
Dear Dick King-Smith,
     Hi. I’m Victoria Seamons. I’m 9 years old and live in Montana City, Montana. Thank you so much for writing this book. I read it in my fourth grade class at Montana City School.
Reading A Mouse Called Wolf made me realize that I can do big and great things even if I’m small. Even though Wolf was the runt of the family, he still believed in and followed his dreams.
Wolf’s siblings were mean to him because he had a longer name unlike all the rest of them.  I think that the world should be nice to others even if they’re different. I realized that I want to be more careful about how I treat others.
 A Mouse Called Wolf is meaningful to me because even if people say you can’t- you still can. Wolf tried to sing because he thought he could. I have begun to take violin lessons. At first, I was way squeaky. It sounded awful. I also am left handed and thought that maybe I wouldn’t be able to learn from a right-handed teacher. But with time and practice, I am getting the hang of it. I hope to play beautiful music on my violin one day.
 This book influenced me to strive to try more things because I can do it. Wolf still thought he could sing even when his siblings and mom said he was crazy. Thank you again for writing this book so I could read it.  
Sincerely,   Victoria Seamons

Here's about the Contest:
"Dear Author" contest @ Lewis & Clark Library
Lewis & Clark Library is hosting a "Dear Author" contest for students in grades 4th and 5th. "Dear Author" encourages students to read YRCA Nominated books, past YRCA winners, or a Newberry Medal Winner and write a letter to the author of the book they chose. 
Letters must be typed on 8 by 11 paper and include student's name, phone number, name of school or home school, and age at the top of the page. Letters will not be returned. Submissions can be sent between January 25-29, and the five finalists will be notified by Feb. 4. The five finalists will be honored at an awards ceremony held at the Library on Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. 
The "Dear Author" contest replaced the annual Battle of the Books. The award was established in 1940 by a Seattle bookseller, the late Harry Hartman, who believed every student should have an opportunity to select a book that gives him or her pleasure.

Don't know if this will work but here's her reading her letter:

No comments:

Post a Comment