Sunday, March 13, 2016

TOFW: Craft Night

What get together with my 2 best creative buddies would be complete without doing a craft project??
A couple weeks ago- Amber sent me an idea of this US map done with fabric that maybe we could do together while I visited her in Idaho. So cute! Let's do it!
So I started getting things together and deciding how I would tweak it to make it my own. (Cuz I'm a tweaker! LOL)
I have this frame that my dad gave me that I swapped out for one that went better with my decor but wanted to use this one as well since it was a gift from him. It seemed the perfect size to fit my new project. I visited my favorite little print shop and had them blow up a map for me that would fit. And printed a even bigger one for Amber.

I began by hanging my map on the window backwards so that I could trace it and make the "wrong" side of the states visible to trace later. Then I thought that if I just traced my pieces on wonder under- then I'd be ahead enough that I could help Amber with hers when I got there. It made me realize that we needed the maps printed backwards. So I made another trip to have them print them backwards for me. It saved tons of time!! Plus I numbered all of them in the order they should be laid on the background to make them all fit.

It was so cute sitting there all traced that it was practically begging me to find fabric for it! So I did. I was just going to pick out the fabric to take down with me.

But somehow my iron just needed me to put those shapes on the right fabric. LOL Besides can you imagine how much less stuff I have to pack if I don't have to take all of those piles of fabric down?? (that's what I told myself) Then it led to cutting them out so I could see how cute they were. Then that led to thinking- how would I get them all down there without losing some of the tiny pieces. That's logical, right?

Needless to say- I just couldn't help myself! I ironed them on. Then decided to just quickly sew around them all so they wouldn't fall off.

So.. yes! I basically just finished it before I even left for ID. Dang! I must have a disease. At least it's a "finisher" disease, right?
It did make me super excited to go down and see what my friends maps would look like. And in hind sight- it was way helpful to have a knowledge of what to do. Plus I was totally free to help them cut, trace, iron, etc. Super helpful since we are not the night owls we used to be!!!

Here's our little craft retreat in the basement of Amber's place. So much fun!!! I miss sewing and crafting with these ladies!!! SOOOO much! Love you gals! XO (Plus our little cooler buddy that hung out with us)

After returning home- I decided to add some words and get mine all in the frame! It turned out so darling!!! A perfect decor for July! Can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment