Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Museum of the Rockies

Today, I got to join Glory on her field trip to the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman. (a 2 hour bus ride ONE WAY!) It started to snow this morning so we thought they might cancel but NO! We drove down anyways. [I carpooled with a couple parents} It was worse weather there than in Helena. To top it all off- there was a stretch of road that is completely under construction and was like driving through a mud puddle for 10 miles. Grrr! Bozeman actually got about 8 or 9 inches by the time we got there. Crazy Montanans!
Here's the museum when we got there:
BUT the kids LOVED being on a fieldtrip so I guess it was worth it. {I took my little camera so pictures aren't the best. Bummer!}
The Museum of the Rockies just got up their new T-Rex display this weekend. So we were the 1st school group to check it out. Talk about coolness! T-Rex is huge. We also got to see several skulls that showed the size difference between a baby and an adult.

We also learned about the Triceratops and got to hold a part of one of their horns.It was super heavy! I think these were my favorite. I loved the skulls and the changes that happen as they grow. Neat!

We also got to check out the Montana State dinosaur, the Maiasaurus, hold some dino eggs and see fossils of some nests.

After the Dinosaur Tour, we took all the kids to the basement for lunch and potty breaks. It was quick and then we headed up to the Planetarium for a show. It made me dizzy & sleepy but oh man! did the kids ooooo & ahhh over everything in there! It was like a 3-D movie in space that swirled. ;)

Then, we broke into small groups and explored other parts of the museum. We had a workbook to fill out so we worked on writing down our facts. We visited the Montana History Exhibit and the Native American Exhibit. We were the only ones in the Indian area so I snapped a picture of the girls with the Buffalo. It just happened that Mrs. Myers came around the corner at that exact moment and I got in trouble. Guess you can't take pictures over in that exhibit. Oops! Oh well!

When we finished our worksheet, we let the girls run through the Dinosaur maze. It had tons of things to read and learn but they didn't care. They were in it for the Adventure!!! Cute girls!

After yanking the girls from the maze and collecting all our stuff, we snapped a shot of the girls outside in the snow. A quick trip to the gift shop, a group shot at the T-Rex and we loaded the kiddos on the bus for another 2 hour ride. Fun, busy day!
P.S. The weather as soon as we got out of Bozeman was totally clear. It looked like Spring by the time we got back to Helena. Crazy Montana!

No comments:

Post a Comment