Thursday, March 6, 2014

Women Skiers

Liberty's grade had their Ski Trip to the Great Divide today. Somehow she talked me into joining her. ;) Neither of us have skied before so we were a bit freaked out!!! But we decided to brave it and add it to our list of accomplishments.
After waiting for the buses to arrive and everyone to get their equipment, we started out with instructions on the Bunny Hill or as the Great divide calls it- the "Backyard". We first learned about our skis, how to put them on and take them off. Then we put one on at a time and learned to glide across the hill. Next we put them both on and learned the "pizza". That's how you stop. Very important!!! ;) Then they taught us how to use the tow rope. We first only went up half the hill and skied to the bottom. But eventually, we were going all the way to the top and skiing through cones. It was pretty awesome!! We rocked the Backyard!!
Unfortunately, the Mountain Meadow Ski Lift was closed today. [That's the simplest ski trail and shorter ski lift] So, they told us we couldn't go up. BUT we had paid for a ski lift so we were a little irritated!
After lunch though, they decided they would take us up on the bigger Ski Lift. Are they crazy??? They said they would go with us up and all the way down the trail. They said that once we made it down one section, we would hook back up with the Meadow Meadow run.
OK- here we go!!
We don't care for the heights associated with the lift but we did a pretty good job getting on and off of it. Go us!
Regrettably, we barely survived the Good Luck run. [That's the Ski path we took] When we got up there the wind was blowing really bad and it started to snow. We could hardly see anything. Then we started down the hill. It was not good! Seriously... we did acrobats and tumbles ALL the way down on almost every turn we made!!! It was PAINFUL!!! We were lucky to make it down alive. Needless to say, we decided to head back to Bunny Hill.
Luckily, after awhile, we ran into a friend of Liberty's- Megan. Somehow Liberty got a dose of bravery and asked if she could go back up with her. I thought she was crazy but I let her go with instructions to Megan to not leave Liberty on the mountain. After a while, the girls came down with ALL smiles! Megan taught Liberty some tricks and she made it all the way down with not one spill. She said the weather was much better this time as well.
WHAT????
I decided to brave it one more time. [mostly so I wasn't shown up by my 12 year old daughter. LOL] I tumbled 4 times on the Good Luck run. Ouch! Very painful- by the way! But then I used Liberty's tricks and I made it the rest of the way down upright. It was very slowly but at least not face planted in the snow every 30 seconds. Wahoo!
I was done for the day- my old body had taken enough beating for one day- but Liberty ended going again several times. She loved it! I was way proud of her. Way to go, Sis!
It was a very fun, rewarding day- full of friends, snow, bravery and time together as Mother/Daughter! So great!
P.S. We stayed later than the buses so Liberty could go a couple more times. On the ride home, my left leg stiffened up. By the time we got back to Helena, I could barely walk. I think I over-exerted it. It took me a whole day before I didn't want to cry when I moved it. And Liberty's body is all achy and she pretty much looks like a raccoon from the sunburn on her face. LOL
Oh well- pains that will soon fade. But won't take away from the fun memories we made! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment